Black mold is a growth of small organisms (Strachybotryschartarun and Strachybotysastra) that are very dangerous to kids and older people because it cause health problems. Respiratory problems like asthma are one of the health problems it causes. Also, black mold can affect pets if exposed. Black mold can be found in any place of your home because it is as a result of small leaks or any plumbing problem which leads to the growth of mold. Mold grows best where there is moist environment present. It can grow on walls, floors, carpets, wood that is water damaged and many more areas. Black mold is black in color as the name suggests but it has a greenish-yellow shade on it, it spreads in a spotty-like pattern. Now that you have known what a black mold is, I am going to concentrate on how cleaning of mold can be done on cabinets.
To clean black mold in a cabinet, you will need the following things with you;
- Spray bottles
- Rubber gloves
- Dust mask
- Non ammonia detergent
- An old toothbrush
- A scrubbing brush
- Chlorine bleach
Note that when cleaning your cabinet you should never mix bleach and any ammonia cleaner because when they combine they make a gas that is harmful and lethal.
How to clean black mold in cabinets;
1. Open your window to provide ventilation, then wear rubber gloves to protect your naked hands from holding mold and wear a dust mask to prevent you from inhaling mold spores.
2. Fill your spray bottle with non-ammonia detergent combined with hot water, then spray the surface with mold and scrub it thoroughly using a scrubbing brush and an old tooth brush to scrub the corners.
3. Get a wet rag and wipe the cabinet after the scrubbing until it’s dry and clean.
4. Get the spray bottle and combine around 1/8 cup of the chlorine bleach with cool water, then spray the cabinet with this solution. Spray the areas that still show signs of black mold but avoid creating a runoff or wet puddles.
5. Wait for 15 minutes so that the solution will have soaked on the surface of the cabinet, wipe any solution that is in excess using a clean and dry rag and leave the doors of the cabinet open to aid their complete drying.
To prevent your cabinet from getting black mold again, you should fix any leaking water under cabinets immediately because it can cause moisture in the cabinet which will lead to the growth of mold. Also, avoid putting any wet items in the cabinet and make sure you dry the cabinet anytime it gets wet.